Its Island Batik challenge time again and this month I’m getting my Halloween on!
Create a holiday runner or table topper
Must use an applique technique
With it being October, I knew i wanted to create a halloween project. I started out by creating a Foundation paper pieced spider web as i wanted this to be my background. There were 8 templates in total and 17 sections in each template!
I then found a font I liked, traced onto heat n bond lite, pressed them to my fabric and cut out the letters for the words “Creep It Real” I fused the letters to the centre of my block and did a blanket stitch around each one using my sewing machine. I then made a quilt sandwich and did matchstick quilting all over.
I bound using my favourite technique by Victoria Gertenbach where the binding is invisible from the front and creates a lovely border to the back.
Its Island Batik challenge time again, and this month is all about trying a new technique! I went for Needle Turn Applique, its something I have wanted to try for a while, just never got round to it. I went super simple with the design as I was a little afraid but it wasn’t so bad! Infact it was super fun! ( a great little TV watching project 🙂 I definitely want to have another go with a bit more of a complex design.
I began by drawing my shapes onto the fabric and cutting them out making sure to add 1/4″ seam allowance all the way around. I placed them onto the background fabric and matched up my threads as closely to the fabric as I could and stitched them into place, I used Aurifil : 50Wt: 1231,1148, 2437 and 28Wt: 2568.
I decided to try another new to me thing, and put my design into a hoop so it can be hung on the wall, I made a quilt sandwich by basting the top, batting and backing together, I used Hobbs Heirloom 100% Cotton batting, its not so noticeable on a small project but used in a bigger size quilt, this batting has such a lovely drape to it and its super soft.
I searched my 12Wt thread collection for a colour to match the background fabric for the quilting part, but its seems I’m not a fan of blue (I must fix that!) and all I could find was this light blue embroidery floss so I used that to stitch little crosses all over, it worked just fine.
The fabrics I used for this project:
Berry Vine – French Blue
Neutrals – Custard
Basics – Pistachio (my favourite)
Bubbles – Raspberry
Bubbles – Carnation
Basics – Chameleon
a strip from the stash builder rolls
Its been another super fun make and yay! for trying a new technique, this one is off to live with my mom and dad adding to their ever growing handmade collection. Thankyou so much Island Batik, Hobbs batting and Aurifil for these awesome challenges, I’m looking forward to July!