- Use any fabric art/non traditional quilting/sewing/thread painting technique using 3 Aurifil thread weights.
- Any size
For this challenge, I didn’t really have a plan and just went with the flow. I started by piecing the background in a log cabin kind of way, adding pieces of fabric as I went, this was great as I got to use up some of my scraps from previous projects. For this part I used a white Aurifil 50wt thread in colour 2024.
I used one of my favourite battings by Hobbs, the 100% Cotton and quilted straight lines in a cross hatch design using a deep purple 28wt Aurifil thread in colour 2568, Not only is this my first time using 28wt but its also my first time using a thicker weight thread in my sewing machine, I used the same 50wt white thread in the bobbin that I used in the previous step and a 90/14 needle. It worked a treat!
I then cut strips of fabric around 1″ wide and sewed them down randomly for form another kind of grid pattern, I stitched these down along the centre of each strip using a 12wt pink Aurifil thread in colour 2479 again using my sewing machine with the 50wt in my bobbin. I love 12wt thread, its definitely my favourite to use.
To finish the front I added some hand stitches in a bright orange 12wt Aurifil thread in colour 1104. This colour is so vibrant, I love it!
The fabrics I used:
- Custard from the basics collection
- Grey from the solids collection
- Plum from the dandelion collection
- Aubergine from the basics collection
- Raspberry from the bubbles collection
- Carnation from the bubbles collection
- Chameleon from the basics collection
- For the backing I used French Blue from the Berry Vine collection
- For the binding I used Chambray icicles from the pine leaf collection
I used my favourite binding technique by Victoria Gertenbach, its called the Non-binding binding technique and you can find the tutorial here. You cant see it at all from the front and gives a lovely border to back.
my quilt finishes at 29″ x 22″
Its been another super fun challenge! thankyou so much Island Batik, Aurifil thread and Hobbs Batting.
Thanks for reading guys, next month ill be sharing that surprise bundle with you I received in Box number 1
Until next time
Happy Sewing! xx